The old it makes of flour de Montferrer (Clicad to see the greatest image).
El rec del Quatre Pobles, (The Reguera of the Four Towns). The history of the it makes of flour of Montferrer goes closely united to the history of the Community of regantes of "El rec del Quatre Pobles", that is the propietary organization. It groups agriculturists, of Anserall, Castellciutat, Montferrer and Adrall, and here porqué of his name. In the 1811 the reguera was opened, that took the water from the Valira river to its passage by Cortingles, from where it advanced by the four terms to ending at the Segre, to the height of Adrall. At the present time, it arrives until the Parish of Hortò and is being object of improvements with the purpose of adapting it to our times. But the water of this conduction not only watered to the orchards and the meadows but that also worked of the old harinero mill of the Trobada, doing to turn the turbines of the industry.
The history of the it makes of flour. The beginnings of the it makes of flour go back at the beginning of century XX, concretely in 1911, year in which was constructed. But one did not begin of zero, since it was constructed above same of the old flour mill of the "Trobada", that dated from the 1868. To this the Three to him mill also "Molas" was denominated. With the advantage to have the old mill, and being able to take advantage of the jump water that drove it, one was believed opportune to reform it and to construct the harinera. Still, still nowadays, there is greater people of Montferrer than she continues using the word mill to denominate to the old it makes of flour. When arriving at the decade of the 60, the harineras of before began to lose points in front of the new used technologies to grind cereals. The market economy demanded mechanizations that the structure of the harinera did not admit. In addition, many dries land were transformed into irrigable and, between a thing and another one, in the 1963 the it makes of flour of the Trobada ended up closing its operation. 
The building and the process to grind. The building consists of ground floor and three floors. Inner stairs separate the harinera in two halves. To the left, sight from the fore door, we found the old houses of the millers. Next to the right there are the four plants of the it makes of flour, like industry, properly said. Habitually they worked between two and four men, according to the work that was. They did not have a fixed schedule of work but that did they did it according to the necessities. The flour production included/understood three phases: cleaning, soaking and crushing of the cereal. All the work was very complex. The cereals and the flour raised and lowered from a plant to the other, during the process, numerous times. 
The machinery. Most characteristic of the machinery of the harinera it is that it worked with hydraulic energy and that was all constructed she with wood, metal and clothes. The wood of the conductions around which the grain circulated, the one of flour and the one of the machines era of Flandes and Melis. A assembly of gears of wood and iron, leather strap and few chains drove the 26 main machines that was. Also it exists a assembly of deposits and conduits that, in spite of not being machines, properly happiness, deserve our attention, since they serve to understand us the process well of processing as the flour, and, mainly. by the good state with which they have arrived at our days.

Denomination and distribution of maquinária 
Third plant - Room of the "planchista"  * "Planchista" 
* Purgadores of the grain 
* Deposits of the grain 
* Soaking 
* Zigzag 
* Machine to air 
Second plant - Room of "sesord" * Machine of the air 
* Mixer 
* "Sesord" 
* Cleaners and I deposit small 
* Purgador of the crumbled ones 
* Purgador of the bran 
First plant - Engine room  * Winch of the bran 
* I deposit for the flour and the rest 
* Panel of lights and extinguisher 
* Tooth and sifts 
Ground floor - Room of packing  * Great hopper 
* Small hopper 
* Pulleys and straps 
* Empacadores tubes of the flour the rest 
* Scale to weigh the flour 
* Scale of the grain 
* Tooth 
* Inn 

 Schedules of opening to the public, (With the added incentive to see and to visit a "agroturismo" store): 
Of Monday to Sunday, 10 to 13 hours 
For arranged visits 
City council of Montferrer-Castellbò 
Tel.: , Fax:  

To return to the principal page

Extracted information of the opuscule published by the City council of Montferrer and Castellbò, with the collaboration of the Local Consell of the Alt Urgell